Waddell Elementary School
Dear Waddell Families,
We continue to focus our collective efforts in providing a safe and secure school environment for students, staff, and families. There are approximately 380 students in our school who all arrive and leave at the same time each day. The following safety precautions have been developed to ensure safety for all our students, staff and families. Please refer to the map included in this packet for reference.
Arrival occurs from 8:55 – 9:05 am. School begins at 9:05 am.
Arrival By Walking
- Students must use the Crossing Guard at the corner of Broad Street and Windemere Street to cross to school.
- Students will enter the building beginning at 8:55 am at the entrance closest to Windemere Street, where a staff member will welcome the students and direct them to their classrooms.
Arrival By Bus
- Beginning at 8:55 am, all buses unload students in the circle in front of the building.
- There are staff members on duty to greet the students and direct the students to their classrooms.
Arrival By Car
* * Cars cannot be parked in the bus circle or front parking lots* *
- Beginning at 8:55 am, cars may drop-off students at school. Prior to that time, there is no supervision of students.
- Parents may drop off students in one of two ways:
Park and Walk or Kiss and Go
Park and Walk Expectations
- Park in the rear parking lot off of Windemere Street and walk your child to the entrance door where a staff member is located.
- Students are encouraged to enter the building and walk to their classroom on their own. Parents who need to access the building should park at the front parking lot to be let in by the Main Office.
Kiss and Go Expectations
- Vehicles need to follow the traffic pattern and stay in line as they enter the rear parking lot from Windemere Street. Passing another vehicle is prohibited.
- Once you are in the drop-off line and stopped, the child should be unbuckled and ready to exit vehicle.
- Student independently opens the vehicle door, exits and closes the vehicle door from the passenger side of the vehicle only.
- Children should walk along the designated area and enter the building through the designated entrance.
- Staff members will monitor and direct children away from vehicles and into the building.
- All other occupants of the vehicle should remain in the vehicle.
- Vehicles need to pull forward to use the entire loading zone so that multiple cars can drop-off at the same time.
- Vehicles should pull away from the curb when the car in front of them leaves.
- We ask that parents of students who need assistance exiting the vehicle or who need to exit on the driver’s side of the vehicle use the Park and Walk method.
Late Arrival (after 9:05 am)
- Students who arrive to school after the 9:05 am bell must be signed in at the main office by a parent/guardian. The student will be given a tardy pass and directed to their classroom.
School ends and dismissal begins at 3:25 pm.
- Older siblings will be dismissed to go to the youngest sibling’s classroom prior to the end of the day and will follow the dismissal procedures for the youngest sibling’s grade level.
- At 3:25:
- After school programming will be dismissed to the cafeteria,
- Kindergarten pick up/walking students will be dismissed at the Kindergarten door (closest to the playground). Teachers will be with their classes waiting for parents to retrieve their children.
- 1st grade pick up/walking students will be dismissed at the 1st grade door (closest to Windemere). Teachers will be with their classes waiting for parents to retrieve their children.
- At 3:27, students will be called to the gym to get into their bus lines and board the buses.
- At 3:29:
- 2nd and 3rd grade pick up/walking students will be dismissed to the first grade door (closest to Windemere). Teachers will be with their classes waiting for parents to retrieve their children.
- 4th and 5th grade pick up/walking students will be dismissed to the Kindergarten door (closest to the playground). Teachers will be with their classes waiting for parents to retrieve their children.
All cars must be parked legally at the end of the day for pick up of students. Driving and parking is one way on Windemere Street. There is parking on the right and left hand sides of the street. The driving lane should remain a driving lane. Please do not stop to let students into your vehicle unless it is legally parked on Windemere Street. There is also parking in the rear lot off of Windemere Street at the end of the day. Families are welcomed to park in the parking spots as well as in the drop-off lane at the end of the school day. The front lot parking is reserved for staff and students/families with special needs. Families with these needs should obtain a parking pass from the main office.
Thank you for the partnership we share
in promoting a safe learning community
for everyone at Waddell Elementary School.